Legitimacy and Citizenship in the Arab WorldLSE Policy research project
Dr Rim Turkmani
Dr Rim Turkmani is the principal investigator of the research project Legitimacy and citizenship in the Arab world project.
She is also the research director of the Syria conflict research programme at the Conflict and Civil Society Research Unit in the Department of International Development at the London School of Economics and Political Science.
Her policy-oriented research work focuses on the political economy and governance in Syria and the local drivers of the conflict and their relation to external dynamics. She is member of the Women Advisory Board to the UN special envoy to Syria.
In 2016 Turkmani wrote a chapter on the EU policy on Syria as part of the report ‘From hybrid peace to human security; Rethinking EU Strategy towards Conflict’ which was officially presented to the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs & Security Policy, Federica Mogherini as part of Mogherini global review of EU external strategy. Part of the language of the report was adopted in the final new EU external strategy that Mogherini published in 2016.
- The question of religion in the Syrian Constitutions: historical and comparative review. (co-authored with Dr. Ibrahim Draji), (in Arabic and English). May 2020.
- Syrian visions: mapping Syrian constitutional papers since 2011
- An analysis of commonalities and divergences of Syrian constitutional papers since 2011, LSE, (with M. Saffour and M. Gharibah), October 2019.
- External Interventions in Local Agreements: Preliminary Findings, London School of Economics, Conflict Research Programme Policy Brief (with M. Kaldor and Marika Theros), November 2019.
- A process in its own right: the Syrian Civil Society Support Room. Conflict Research Programme, London School of Economics and Political Science, London, UK. (with Marika Theros). June 2019.
- Political economy and governance in Syria report , (Edited with Marika Theros and Sami Hadaya) April 2019.
- Progress in the wrong direction; local Council Elections in Syria, LSE, (with Myriam Youssef and Mazen Gharibah), 28 Feb. 2019.
- EU Syria Engagement from a Human Security Perspective Book Chapter in EU Global Strategy and Human Security, (2018). Routledge.
- War Economy, Governance and Security in Syria’s Opposition-Controlled Areas. Stability International Journal of Security and Development (with Vesna Bojicic-Dzelilovic). 6 April 2018.
- Countering the logic of war economy in Syria; evidence from three local areas. LSE, (with M. Kaldor, A. Ali, and V. Bojicic-Dzelilovic) July 2015.
- ISIL, JAN and the war economy in Syria, LSE, July 2015.
- Hungry for Peace: positives and pitfalls of local truces and ceasefires in Syria, LSE, October 2014.
- Arabick Roots, book published by Doha Museum of Islamic Art. 2012.
This post is also available in: العربية (Arabic)